Monday, August 11, 2008

Chicken and Herbal Jelly

It was surely one of the smallest portions of chicken I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot in my almost three decades of eating chicken rice.

The meat on my dad's plate looked like it was from a bird which endured a Nazi death-camp.

My dad tried to get a bigger portion. The vendor said no; he was sticking to his chick-size. Need I say this'd be one time too many my dad would patronise this stall?

Contrast this with an experience I had a few years back.

I was scorched-thirsty and I wanted one of those herbal jelly drinks from a roadside drinks guy. I asked how much a cup cost and was told RM1.20. I was counting the number of coins I had with me (somehow I didn't have any bills - must've been month's end) when the vendor said, "Don't worry about it, pal. Just drink up!"

Sure, it was only Rm1.20 but how many dudes you seen who do this kind of thing? I'm guessing not a lot. How many times have you experienced what my dad experienced with the chicken man? I think aplenty.

How many would talk about a re-visit the herbal jelly guy and how many would ALSO talk about and not re-visit the chicken guy?

1 comment:

fishtail said...

Even if that guy became the ONLY chicken rice seller between here and Chicago, I would still not patronize his stall again.